Sunday, January 25, 2009

NPR and the threats of color... or not

One of the NPR interviews that I listened to was of a frantic white woman who was concerned that because of the election of Barack Obama, blacks would rise against the majority population and retaliate for all the sins of the past against their minority group. My initial reaction was thinking that this lady was being ridiculous but this lead me to start considering this subject along with another idea that was developing in my mind simultaneously. In class we discussed this woman, and how she, along with many others, are uncomfortable with the idea of a group of strong blacks. Maybe it's just me, but I'm not anymore afraid of a group of strong blacks than I am the idea of a group of strong whites. I think the idea of any strong group that goes against what is lawful or right is frightening, regardless of skin color, because violence isn't limited to skin color, and I think we all know that. We also discussed how many white peoples' worst fear is strong blacks, and all I have to say to that is, says who? That assumption upsets me. What I want to know is, why is everything so focused on an image or skin color? Personally I know that I would be just as scared to be approached by a group of white guys that I didn't know as I would be to be approached by a group of black guys guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment